Main Logo

Main Logo
LexxyTech Corporation

Burnley Goalkeeper Nick Pope Determined To Impress After Earning His First England Call-up

Burnley goalkeeper Nick Pope has admitted that he is determined to make an impression during his time with the England squad.

At the start of the season, Nick Pope was on the bench for the Clarets, but a long-term injury to Tom Heaton has resulted in the 25-year-old making 27 outings in the Premier League.

At a press conference, Pope told reporters: “If I wasn’t in this squad I would be an outsider for the World Cup at most. I have got to prove myself at this level.

“I’ve come here to enjoy it and show what I am about. In football, you have to be hungry and I am happy to be here.

“There has got to be one number one. Come the World Cup, there will be one goalkeeper who has that slot. There are eight games left of the Premier League season and it is every man for himself.”

A call-up to the England squad is the latest step on a remarkable odyssey for former Charlton goalkeeper Pope, who spent time on loan at Harrow Borough, Welling United and Aldershot Town in his formative years. However it is one the goalkeeper feels he thoroughly merits.

“I’ve played in some cold, dark leagues. It’s a level – this national team – that you think is too far away almost.

“I feel like I’ve put in some hard yards and proven myself at those levels to try and get to this level. I don’t think it’s a fluke to get called up to the England squad.”

The post Burnley Goalkeeper Nick Pope Determined To Impress After Earning His First England Call-up appeared first on 360Nobs.com.



Post a Comment

0 Comments