Main Logo

Main Logo
LexxyTech Corporation

Yeni Kuti: Fela's first child advocates Nigerian public officers be sworn in by 'Juju'

Yeni Kuti speaking at the Felabration 2017 - Press conference (Theme logo, activities unveiling)

In wake of the corruption being perpetrated by Nigerians in power, Yemi believes they would sit up if made to take oaths in the name of lesser African deities.

Yeni Kuti, first child and daughter of the late Afrobeat legend Fela Kuti has come out to express her opinion on a practical solution to prevent the excesses of Nigerian government officials.

She believes they should be made to swear oaths with  'Juju' (African traditional medicine) when ceremoniously coming in for public position.

Speaking on a radio show with presenter Jimi Disu, Yeni suggested that if they are made to swear by Ogun (god of iron) or a Sango (god of thunder) for example, they would think twice before stealing public funds.

“Just as Sophie Oyewole has suggested, let them use it to swear in government officials and we shall see if anybody will continue to steal our money in this country or not. I am sure that if they are made to swear by Ogun or some other fearsome African deity, there will be no more corruption”.

 

On the show she also said that her late father Fela and other members of her family appear to her in dreams.

“It’s 20 years since my father died, but it doesn’t seem as if he has been gone for so long. I miss him and I still talk to him in my mind. He and other departed members of my family have also appeared to me in my dreams. I don’t know if it is right to say that they appear to me, but I see them in my dreams. I dream of them a lot.”

Yeni Kuti manages the New Afrika Shrine alongside her brother Femi Kuti. She pioneered the idea of Felabration, a music festival conceived to celebrate the life and contributions of her father Fela Kuti to the Nigerian society.

She is also known to be a dancer, singer and businesswoman.



from pulse.ng - Nigeria's entertainment & lifestyle platform online

Post a Comment

0 Comments